How's it work?
How does it work? What do I do? What do I need to bring?
These are common questions about zero waste shopping and we want to make it as easy and convenient as possible for everyone.
What do I need to bring?
Just like our refills, as much or as little as you like. If you just want to see what we have and get to know how things work, or if you want to refill all your existing containers, we have options for you.
- Free compostable paper bags in store.
Our compostable paper bags come in two sizes, are free, and are compostable in your home compost bin.
- Take a jar, leave a jar.
Another great free and convenient option, we have a shelf full of containers which have been washed and dried and are ready for you to use. Feel free to use as many as you like, and then reuse them in future. If you have any spare jars at home you can donate them too for reuse.
- Bring your own containers.
If you have your own containers you want to refill, bring them with you.
Simply Weigh your container on our weighing scales, print out a label and stick it on. This is so that we know the weight of the empty container at the till. You only need to weigh it the first time, unless the sticker wears off.
Once you've labelled your containers, Fill them with whatever you need.
Then head over to the till to Pay. No need to weigh them again, we'll take care of that for you.
Watch the video below for a walk through of how to Weigh, Fill and Pay
What do you stock?
It's surprising the range of options you can provide in a smaller shop without packaging, we have a wide range of groceries, from basics like pasta, rice, flour to beans and pulses, and even kid-friendly breakfast cereals. There's also a great selection of tasty treats and snacks like roasted and salted nuts, dried fruits, chocolates and tasty jellies. We've a wide range of spices and herbs, teas and coffee.
Aside from food, we have a selection of household cleaners and detergents, fabric softener, dishwasher powder and rinse aid, shampoo and conditioner, body wash, bar soap, shaving bars. Then there's also the eco friendly alternatives to many common household products like compostable sponges, dish brushes, reusable menstrual products, reusable nappies, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, candles and more.
Check out our full range of products here.
How do I know how much I'm getting?
What does 100g of rice look like? What about 250g of pasta? It can be hard to know how much you normally use of a product. The below picture gives an example of 100g of just a handful of our products, but please don't be afraid to ask in store if you need any help, or use our weighing scales to check how much you're getting.
How do I use the dispensers?
We have 3 types of containers/dispensers in store;
- Gravity bins - These are the ones mounted up high with a handle on the front. Simply place your container underneath the opening and pull the handle down gently. When you want to stop, let the handle return to its closed position.
- Scoop bins - These are the ones mounted lower on shelves and have a scoop which you use. Take the scoop from it's holder, open the lid at the front, and then scoop the amount of product you require into your container.
- Jars - Take a spoon from the "Clean" wooden tub, use it to scoop the product out of the jar and into your container, then return the used spoon to the "Dirty" glass jar when done.